Authors Note: This post was updated in January 2021 to include more baby gifts ideas.
I love baby showers. I love everything about them. The cakes, decorations, the games and of course the gifts. I’ve been lucky enough to attend a few baby showers and most of the time I’m more excited than the mum to be. So when it came to writing this blog on baby shower gifts I couldn’t wait.
In this article, you will find everything you need to know about baby shower presents including types, costs, prizes, and etiquette.
So let’s start off with some of the basic questions;
Do you have to bring a gift to a baby shower?
When attending a baby shower it’s recommended to buy a present for the expectant parents. The preference is for the guest to buy a gift that will assist the first twelve months of care for the baby.
What do you buy for a baby shower?
We recommend buying a gift that is age-appropriate, stylish, high quality, and practical. We have a large selection of baby shower gift ideas in our shop. Otherwise, read our baby shopping checklist or our baby essentials blog for more inspiration.
How much should I spend on baby shower presents?
This depends on the individuals’ circumstances. When looking for gifts for co-workers we suggest spending $20-$30. For a close friend $60 and for a family member $100. In saying this, I’m sure the mum to be will be more than happy with your attendance rather than how much you have spent.
What are the best baby shower gifts?
The gift should be something that the parents will be able to use in the first twelve months of having their baby. This is how we decided on what should be in our baby gift sets.
How to choose the best baby shower present
Here are some of the things we recommend to look for when choosing a gift for a new baby or baby shower;
- Practical — Look for a practical present. The last thing you want is for your gift to be sitting in the back of a cupboard never to be used.
- Unique — Buy a unique gift as you don’t want to turn up to the hospital or baby shower with the same gift as everyone else. The recipient will appreciate the effort you made.
- Age-appropriate- The item should be age-appropriate. There’s no point in buying a bicycle for a newborn.
- Stylish — You want to give a present which looks fantastic. An item where the parents to be will be proud to show off the amazing gift they received from you.
- Australia Made — It’s great to support small and local businesses. Where possible, buy gifts that are made in Australia. You will be helping the local economy and supporting Australian businesses.
- Shop Small – Small business makes up 98% of businesses in Australia and are generally family-run businesses. Each sale or order they receive helps and is appreciated. Shopping small means you can get a lovely gift and help a small business at the same time.
Can you give a gift for mum instead of baby?
Yes, you can give a gift for the mum to be rather than the baby. Sometimes mums get overlooked when having a baby and buying a gift for mum is a nice way to make her feel loved. It is more appropriate for a family member or a very close friend to buy for the mum. You may want to mix it up and buy it for both mum and baby. These days there are lots of ‘mummy and me’ matching products like our mum and me top knots.
Types of gifts to give mum
If you decide you want to buy the mum to be rather than the baby a gift, we have outlined some ideas which you may want to consider;
- Maternity Photoshoot — Spoil the mum to be with a maternity photoshoot which she can look back with fond memories of the wonderful time she was pregnant.
- Maternity Robe — Packing a robe in your hospital bag is a must so buying a beautiful maternity robe would be a gift the mum to be would love.
- Home-cooked Meals — Once the baby arrives the new parents will have very little time. Making them a meal that they can heat up at a moments notice will be a lifesaver.
- Time — Make a few vouchers to give to the parents to be where you will look after the newborn baby for a few hours. This will give the parents some time for themselves.
- Baby Journal — A baby memory book or a pregnancy diary is a beautiful gift that the mum to be can write down all her thoughts and emotions. She will be able to look back with fondness on the pregnancy and first few years.
Do you give gifts to guests at a baby shower?
It is not essential for the host to buy favours for those who are attending however it is a nice gesture. It’s a way of saying thank you for sharing the special day and a keepsake for those who were there.
What are good baby shower gifts for guests?
If you choose to give baby shower favours to guests our suggestion is to make them relatively cheap, unique, and personal. Some party favour ideas are;
- Bath Bombs
- Mini Champaigns
- Lolly bags
The type and style of gift you give to your guests will depend on your budget and style.
Baby Shower Prizes for games
After you have read our blog on baby shower games you will realise that you will need lots of prizes for the winners. These can be pretty basic and include things like;
- Tea Towel or Washcloth
- Jelly Babies
- Bath Bombs
- Hand Lotions
- Coffee Mugs
- Hair Clips
- Manicure Set
- Photo Frame
Make sure you buy a lot of these. You don’t want to run out of prizes for the winners!
Our Gift Sets
We live and breathe baby gifts and have compiled four different styles to choose from. All with the majority of the products handmade in Australia and each one is suitable for a baby shower or newborn gift.
Newborn Baby Gift
The first set we offer is the newborn baby gifts set which are the smallest. There is a wide selection of prints suitable for both boys and girls. We also offer a range of unisex prints for those who are having a surprise baby.
This is perfect as a newborn present as both items can be used within the first six months of life. The set includes the bandana baby bib, bunny teether, and a card of your choice. All of which comes gift wrapped ready to hand over to the lucky recipient.
Baby Boy Gift Set
This set makes the ideal gift for baby boys and is full of unique and practical items. In addition to the bandana bib, bunny teether, and card. The boys’ gift set includes a baby bib and burp cloth.
This set is larger than our newborn set and is full of prints for a boy. We also have a Whales print that has been designed only for us, making sure your gift is both original and unique.
Baby Girl Gift Set
The gift sets for girls include all the items in the boys’ present plus a headband. This set is suitable to celebrate a newborn or baby shower. Our current prints for girls include a range of florals, patterns, and animals.
Deluxe Baby Sets
We are always coming up with new and unique gift ideas and we have nailed it with the luxury deluxe baby gift set. These come with our handmade products that including the bunny teether, bandana bib, burping cloth, and baby bib.
Also, we have also added the dummy, dummy chain, and a baby record book. Ideal for friends to chip in to share the cost or for a corporate gift for the mum to be before her maternity leave. This set is full of quality, stylish and practical products.
Card, Wrapping, and Message
Each of our four sets comes complete with a choice of three cards. This includes a baby boy, baby girl, or baby shower card. They are blank inside ready for you to write your congratulations and best wishes for the baby or mother.
Our gift sets are gift wrapped in a recycled cardboard box so there is nothing for you to do but offer your best wishes.
If you would like us to send it straight to the recipient we are happy to write in the card and post it to the recipient for you.
Build your own
You may feel that the items we have chosen aren’t what you would like to include in your gift box. Instead, you can build your own set and include the items of your choice. This can be from any of the products from our online baby shop. Let us know that it’s for a gift and we will wrap it ready for the lucky parents.
E- Gift Cards
Sometimes you can not make up your mind or you are unsure what present to give at the baby shower. With a gift card, you can’t go wrong. The recipient will be able to choose exactly what they want and which styles and prints they prefer. Available in different denominations to suit any budget.
Delivery and Payment Options
We recommend sending the gift to a business or residential address and not the hospital. We deliver throughout Australia and internationally. For more information visit our shipping policy.
To make it as easy as possible for you we offer various payment solutions. This includes Afterpay, credit card, and Paypal.
If there is anything else you would like to know about any of our gift boxes please contact us.