If you work in an office environment, or even with other people, there may be a time where you need to buy maternity leave gifts for a colleague. This can be a daunting task, especially if you have no experience with babies or if you don’t have children of your own. The pressure is on you to come up with something that is stylish, value for money and practical. So we have compiled a list of ideas that would make for the perfect gift to give to a coworker or employee before they go on maternity leave. You wont find any nappy cakes here!
- Gift Sets — These take all the work away from you as our baby gift sets come gift wrapped complete with a card. Although if you work in a big office you may need a bigger card for everyone to write their best wishes in. We offer four different styles of gift sets including the smaller newborn set, baby boy, baby girl and deluxe baby gift set. The deluxe gift set is our largest baby gift and is perfect for the corporate environment as it has a range of unique and varied products. All of which are practical and can be used within the first 3 months of the baby being born. They are ideal for a shared gift so your coworkers can all chip in knowing they are getting a stylish gift for the mum to be.
- Diaries — The thing I love about diaries is how they are so useful and once finished they are a great keepsake. We recommend gifting them the Baby Journal — The first year. This is a beautifully displayed book that comes in a linen case. There is plenty of room for the mum to be to write all the newborns firsts in. We love this diary as a gift because you can have all your colleagues write their best wishes inside the cover. So the mum to be will remember her co workers every time she makes a journal entry.
- Bibs — Many people think of bibs as a boring gift and especially for a work colleague. Not ours! We make a variety of different styles in a range of prints for both boys and girls. All our bibs are hand made so you know that you will be gifting your colleague a unique item. Not something that has been mass produced overseas.
Burp Cloths – These are one of the most practical yet stylish gift ideas you can give. Everyone in the office loves it when the new parent brings their newborn into the office. So image them bringing in bub with the burp cloth you gave them a few months earlier. All your colleagues will be able to protect their clothes from the babies spit ups while holding the baby. They will also be able to see the money they have given has been put to good use.
- Baby Hair Accessories – These offer that extra little bit of cuteness to any outfit. This gift however is only appropriate if you know your colleague is having a baby girl. Hair accessories are the cutest and we have four types to choose from. All handmade in Australia with the bow being hand stitched rather that glued.
- Teethers – The parents to be will be so grateful for this present when their baby starts to teeth. Teething time can be difficult for babies and parents alike so a teething toy is a must have baby accessories. Our teethers have been tested and certified to Australia Standards. So you know you will be giving them a safe product. The bunny teether is a favourite and is made of eco friendly materials. The cloth ears are made from cotton while the the ring is a beech hardwood and is ideal for the baby to get their gums around.
- Nursing pillow – A nursing pillow is a must on any baby essentials list and we love the feeding friend nursing pillow due to its ease of use. This feeding pillow is self inflating so it can be carried around and after use can be deflated and stored easily. The mum to be can now bottle or breast feed on the go. She can even bring it with the baby to show everyone at the office.
- Swaddles – Not only do swaddles look adorable, they are extremely practical. We offer the burrow baby swaddle which is handmade here in Australia. The materials used are super soft and gentle on the new babies skin. Swaddles make for a wonderful gift for someone going on maternity leave as it’s something that the new parents will use on a daily basis.
- Bath Toys – Not all baby gifts from the employer have to be practical, they can be fun like the Oli and Carol range of bath toys. These toys are handmade from natural rubber with no so water can’t get in and allow mold to grow. These also double as an organic teether so your co workers are getting value for money.
- Baby sensory boards – This gift idea is for the parents to be that has everything sorted. As babies gets older they like to explore and develop their motor skills. The baby sensory board helps them develop their sensors. It is small enough to put in the storage of the pram and easily mobile. So the baby can be entertained while on the go.
New baby gift from employer
These ideas are for someone who is about to go on maternity leave. However you may want to give them a gift when the baby arrives. Something a little smaller, especially if you have already given a maternity leave gift. Here are a few ideas that you can give from the employer.
- Newborn Gift Set – The newborn baby gift sets are ideal as a small gift to give to a client or coworker who has just had their baby. This set comes with a teether, bib, card and beautifully gift wrapped.
- Milestone discs – These wooden milestone disc’s are the perfect way to record the babies milestones. These include discs for weeks and months as well as the babies firsts in the first twelve months of the babies life. The discs are a great accessory to add to a photo shoot and you will get a full years use out of them.
- Record book – These baby record books come in two colours, pink and grey. Similar to the baby journal mentioned above however less expensive. This makes for a good gift if you have already splashed out on maternity leave gifts.
- Dummies – These are no ordinary dummies. They are made from 100% natural rubber and are made with a single mold. Therefore leaving no gaps for bacteria to hide. These organic dummies are a great idea for those coworkers who are wanting eco friendly products.
- Bamboo suction plates – As the baby gets bigger they will want to try and feed themselves. That means more mess and cleaning up as well as countless overturned bowls. This is where the suction plate becomes a life saver. No more overturned plates and and as a parent myself I can vouch for how good these suction plates are.
- Dummy Chains – Another small gift you could give is a dummy chain. They have been tested and approved to Australia Standards. Therefore you know you will be giving your employee a safe and practical gift.
We hope that these ideas help you to decide what to give someone who is going on maternity leave. If you would like any more information on these or any of our products please get in touch.
This post was written by Luisa Figueroa – Owner, designer and maker of the My Little Love Heart range of baby products. I am a mum to a beautiful daughter and have been working within the fashion industry for over 15 years and specialising in baby accessories for the last 5. My love of fashion has enabled me to work and study around the world